Author Topic: Written for my M.I.L  (Read 4295 times)

ND/findbotr

• View Profile
Written for my M.I.L
« on: March 20, 2013, 11:21:27 AM »
For Sandra!

Cheshire Grin
Cat and Canary
Blue and White
Chuckles begin

Words hard sought
Feelings hard to describe,
Caught, ensnared, fondness shared.
Eternal Memories

Beliefs weighed
Souls in a whirlwind
Not broken
Peeking outward

Seasons will change
Flowing like the wind
Feelings of loss
will repair

Cheeky Grin
Cat and Cream
Faith Confirmed
Solice Reached.

R.I.P David Brian Quinlan -: 26/12/2012

Findbotr

EverJack

• View Profile
Re: Written for my M.I.L
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 09:57:19 AM »
I liked this poem of 'memories shared', Fiona.  I'm not sure what M.I.L. stands for....  (I don't text.. lol), but I think it stands for Mother-in-Law.

Ed

ND/findbotr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 12:33:14 PM »
 ;D Indeed M.I.L is exactly as you say!

My MIL was so very upset one day after her Hubbies passing, it was all I could do to make her smile.

It was hard, even knowing he was going. I will forever have the final sight of him in my memories. Lord I've tried to replace that image with others but It won't leave. I made the Celebration of his life for the funeral and OMG, everyone order a copy of the DVD. I hit the right photos and songs in combination. It made Sandra very happy!

EverJack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 09:10:39 AM »
I'm glad it made her happy, Fi, and that you helped take away some of her grief.

Ed

Ian H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 11:51:24 AM »
Fi
I like writing that uses very few words to say a lot and this is very much in this class.

Ian

Cathrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 06:50:20 AM »
I really appreciated your comment, Fi, for again I had trouble identifying the topic/theme of the poem.  However, I especially liked the images in the first stanza.  They are particular concrete pictures that draw me in.  The more abstract the words are, the harder I find to follow a theme.  "Souls in a whirwind"--what a wonderful image that gives me.  As you can tell, the stronger the images are, the easier it is for me to grasp the messages. Cathleen

Linda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 03:32:53 PM »
I also enjoyed this, Fi.

Everyone pretty much covered all the things I enjoyed about it.

Linda

Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 02:59:32 AM »
Fi n ot mush more i can say -- just know i liked it!

ND/findbotr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 05:47:39 AM »
Ok all explanation to chosen verse's. You had to know the Man to grasp the meaning behind the words.

For Sandra!

Cheshire Grin = He had a wonderfully cheeky grin, that reminded you of the second line.
Cat and Canary
Blue and White = North Melbourne supporter through and through. We gave him curry all the time over his team, hence the chuckles.
Chuckles begin

Words hard sought
Feelings hard to describe,
Caught, ensnared, fondness shared.
Eternal Memories = Self explanatory.

Beliefs weighed
Souls in a whirlwind = This was for Sandra, she was prepared for his passing, but not prepared. A lot happened that night, the cancer was bad!
Not broken
Peeking outward = Even though he was medicated we still saw him, in his eyes and he knew we were there.

Seasons will change
Flowing like the wind
Feelings of loss
will repair = Again this was for Sandra, re enforcing, that the grief would pass and his memory would always be cherished.

Cheeky Grin
Cat and Cream
Faith Confirmed
Solice Reached.

= This final stanza was to show Sandra she can move on and will move on, her family and friends are always there and only a ph call away. Christmas will be hard on all of us, but when the time comes we will be together and share our good memories and create some more.

R.I.P David Brian Quinlan -: 26/12/2012

Findbotr

Dave, was a ex wharfie from Port Melbourne, he grew up through the touch years on the wharfs. He was quietly opinionated, when he spoke you listened. He did not yell, it was the look and tone, that made you either step up or down. He told me not long before he passed, I was good for his boy and it was obvious that I wore the pants, after all someone had to. He could see how I encouraged David in a soft patient manner to step up and verbalise and how I further taught him how to behave as a Father and son.  Poppa Dave told me more about my husband than he did himself, my hubby had all but been destroyed by his marriage break up and still harbours some ill feelings for what happened during this time.
He is finally getting a back bone and not taking her (the ex's Bs anymore) she actually slapped him in front of the family not long before Popps passing and David actually pushed her away and held her hands away from him. This shocked her and she looked directly at me and I smiled, then walked away. I think she expected to get my ire, but I let David vent his.
It was a proud moment for all concerned, I also do not allow her to rail road anyone and that irks her, as she is no longer the first wife, but now thoroughly the ex wife!

Poppa Dave was a simple man of simple needs, he loved his teddy bear (Sandra with a passion) and a good beer, footy and his grandkids. He hated being ill and did all he could to prolong the inevitable, he made it through to the wedding and then some. He would have been heart broken to know the date he passed, but as he said "Shit Happens".

Fat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 07:55:06 AM »
The poetry was good and now the explanation has me in tears. Thanks Fi.

EverJack

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 10:03:47 AM »
A wonderful explanation of both the poem and 'Poppa' Dave, Fi.

Ed

Linda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 10:25:27 AM »
The explanation added so much to the poem for me.  Thanks Fi.

ND/findbotr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 12:20:59 AM »
I loved him too and I feel Sandra has finally realized how much.

I always write something for a persons passing, it helps me deal with it and capture the memories.

When I did his life in photos, I became a true member of the family as I listened to the stories that went with the images. I tried to incorporate it all in the Celebration-al montage of his life. Believe me it hard when you are close to a person and they pass to get the feelings across, especially just after it all happens.
It took me 2 days to make the video and many tears and walk aways. But it was perfect in everyone's opinion. So much so that 15 copies were made and given out. Some have even travelled to Britain and Canada.

If you have the time I suggest you start a montage early and capture the persons words, get the photos and log the journey of their life. It all gets lost so easily.

Thank-you everyone for the wonderful comments.

Cathrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 08:57:40 AM »
I loved the wonderful story behind your beautiful tribute, Fi, and it's clear that your words spoke to those who most mattered.  I'm sorry for your loss.  It may be trite, (but it's true), these words will make the memory of wonderful Poppa live for a long, long time...and that's because of you. Cathleen

ND/findbotr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 10:25:20 AM »
 :) Thank-you all.
Sandra also thanks you all, she read the posts.