Author Topic: Why?  (Read 514 times)

Ian H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Why?
« on: October 25, 2013, 04:05:31 PM »
Maybe because of my heritage people say I have an amazing affinity with wild animals. But you'd think having lived wild for a long time you would lear to read the signs of the bush.Today I was at an old timers lunch nobody at the table on the veranda had lived rough for less than thirty years. We were chatting about old times when the hair of my neck went up.

"Listen"

Reward Jim stopped "All I can hear are frogs."

I was about to answer him when I saw the gardener walk towards the rockery. "Graham be careful there is a snake in the rockery."

"You can see it?"

"No but I can roughly tell you where it is."

He got a long stick and began poking where I said. I had expected a small constrictor but I was wrong About a five foot long snake of the second most deadly species in the world slithered away.

Every eye went to me. "How did you know a snake was there?"

"Elementary my dear Watson. How many of you have heard a desert frog croak in the middle of the day under bright sunlight?"

Why do they hear but not think?

Ian

Cathrobin

• View Profile
Re: Why?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 11:52:24 PM »
Oh, Lord.  Maybe I won't visit the outback.  You are a national treasure, Ian.  Cathleen

Ian H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 07:27:48 AM »
Cathleen the outback is a dangerous place Last year. 480 people died in road accidents. 27 were murdered about half by their spouse. Farm accidents accounted fo 11 deaths Yes a very dangerous place. But it is 5 years since we had a fatal snake bite. My advice to tourists is forget the snake and fear the cars.

Ian

EverJack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 10:15:34 AM »
Five years since a fatal snake bite?  I'd think with so many tourists wandering about, there would be at least a few each year.

Sounds like the frog was either croaking a frog warning, or croaking its death knell.

Ed