Author Topic: My Beard is White Now: Chapter 18: 1  (Read 1976 times)

Cathrobin

• View Profile
My Beard is White Now: Chapter 18: 1
« on: March 27, 2013, 09:39:35 AM »
This was the third morning that Siobhan looked out to the screened-in porch and saw John Callahan standing there, looking bewildered, shifting his body nervously back and forth on his long lanky legs. 

Twice last week, and here it was 7 a.m. Monday morning. 

Siobhan had heard her daughter running water in the bathroom sink at 6 and had smiled to herself at how responsible Sophie had become, getting up on her own to head down to the fields across the river to help Uncle Tony dig up potatoes. 

And while she worked alongside those German prisoners, Siobhan was comforted both by the fact that Tony had promised to keep an eye on her daughter, and, grudgingly, by the fact that that Callahan boy was also working in Tony’s fields. 

Even though she thought Sophie was much too young to get involved  with John Callahan, or any boy, at least he wasn’t a German prisoner. 

“Just keep your priorities, straight, young lady,” Siobhan frequently reminded her. 

Never mind, as Sophie often threw in her mother’s face, that she herself was only a year older when she married Stan. 

“Times were different then,” Siobhan would respond.  “There was no thought of a young girl going off to college, to have a career…as you are going to do.”

“But you loved, Dad, right?  You would marry him over and over or so you’ve said,” Sophie would retort. 

And that would end the debate, her daughter having the last word.

But this was puzzling, John showing up on the porch, expecting to walk Sophie down to the fields, especially when her daughter had shouted up the stairs, “Bye Mom, Bye Pip Squeak,” a half hour earlier.

“Sorry, John, but Sophie already--” Siobhan began but she stopped when the boy shook his head emphatically from side to side.

“She’s not there.  I checked.  I went straight to the fields, thinking she might have gone like last week.  But she’s not there.” 

“Well,” Siobhan stammered, taken aback.  “Maybe she stopped by Millie’s first...”

Her voice trailed off as that Callahan boy turned, opened the screen door, and let it snap decisively behind him as he punched his boot clad feet down the stairs. 

Siobhan watched as the boy stormed down the driveway.

Apprehension pressed against her chest.  Where was her daughter?  Where was she going so early in the mornings? 

Siobhan slapped the dish towel against the counter alongside the sink and stepped into the hallway to shout upstairs.  “Seamus!   Seamus!”

First the dog’s face appeared around the corner at the top of the stairs, and then her son’s, blank with worry. 

Instantly, Siobhan’s heart softened.  Her son had thought he had done something wrong, when in fact her precious boy never did anything against her wishes. 

She smiled up at him and his shoulders relaxed.  “Did Sophie tell you where she was going?”
©ccrobinson
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:45:25 AM by Cathrobin »

EverJack

• View Profile
Re: My Beard is White Now: Chapter 18: 1
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 12:38:33 PM »
It seems that Sophie might be seeing someone early in the mornings other than John, and John knows it.  You mentioned you might make this turn.  My thoughts are how Siobhan will react if it's true.    It would be a very big turning point since her beloved husband died.  Could Siobhan handle it??

Ed
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 12:40:16 PM by EverJack »

Ian H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 07:25:27 PM »
Cathleen
Again you are writing a very interesting part of this story. A small change around might make it even more suspenseful. If you strengthened the fact the girl had left the house before you had John calling for her.

Ian

Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 05:04:13 AM »
I like it!  It will take me a few tims tocatch up but I promise I will.  I missed your characters and your style...

Cathrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 01:05:03 AM »
Thanks Jack, Jim and Ian, for your wonderful comments and encouragement. CAthleen

Linda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 06:38:22 PM »
Ed's comments said (much better than I could) what I was thinking when I was reading this post.

I'm also thinking that Sophie is heading for trouble and, since I know her character so well by now, I'm worried about her.

Can't wait for the next post, Cathleen.

Linda