Author Topic: Jolley the swagman Making a swaggie 11/7  (Read 500 times)

Ian H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Jolley the swagman Making a swaggie 11/7
« on: November 07, 2013, 06:49:25 AM »
The doctor turned back to Jolley. “As a policeman have you ever run into a Viet Vet who can't go inside?”

Jolley nodded. “More than you would think.”
The man nodded. “It was nearly forty years ago yet there are still PTSD cases. You see we know no cure all we can do is help victims cope with it. Jolley and his swag could be a life savers for many. A person can suffer from PTSD but it is how he reacts to it his sanity relies on.”

The Matron threw out here chest. “Well Jolley reacts badly he wont obey me Sign the forms.”

The Doctor looked at her. “I feel Jolley is reacting in a brilliant way. But I'm sorely temped to sign the papers but not for him.”

His eyes burnt into the Matron; she went red. “Well we can't have him sleeping on a sun-lounge what will people think?”

The Doctor was standing almost nose to nose with the Matron. “You have a whole store room of out of date beds which it would hurt to get wet. All the mattresses are water proof. Make him a bed out here. He can sleep in his swag.”

That morning after exercises he managed to dig up a map of the area.

He had no hope the Jenkins could find his desire so soon so he wasn't disapointed when in the afternoon she turned up empty handed.

She looked him up and down. 'You're dressed in street clothes. Knowing you you are up to something.”

Jolley grinned. “Come with me.”

He walked behind the laundry building and climbed the low fence, Jenkins followed suit then lifted Jolley's walker over.

Jolley looked at the map and took off. Very soon he came to a jogging track An arrow pointed to the summit of mount Impossible. He turned into it.

Jenkins shook her head. “You'll never make the top.”

Jolley shrugged. “I know not today at any rate. But when I do it will be time to get on with my life.”

The Matron never had any idea Jolley was sneaking out and every day he got closer and closer to the top.

There was one day he didn't try. Jenkins bounced in carrying what looked like an eight sided hat box.

Jolley's hands were shaking as he opened it.  Jenkins beamed. “It is fully refurbished with a two year guarantee from the best music shop in town.”

He placed his hand in the leather flaps and positioned his fingers on the little round white buttons on each end and pulled the bellows open.

Jenkins looked. “You can play one?”

Jolley nodded. “When we were young we used to spend our holidays camping on the banks of the Menindee. Our tents in a circle, a camp fire in the centre. Our nights were spent roasting potato in the ashes. A cod that was caught that day roasting on a stick over the fire. The stars twinkling down on us. We would sit around and dad played jigs on his squeeze box.”

EverJack

• View Profile
Re: Jolley the swagman Making a swaggie 11/7
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 11:03:56 AM »
Jolley was lucky to have this Doctor.  Besides Jolley, himself, he is the only one who stood up to the matron.

I'm glad that Jolley got his accordion.  Jenkins is a fine asst in many ways.

Ed

Cathrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 09:23:43 AM »
So Jolley will be returning to the life of his youth.  He is definitely moving forward.  Cathleen

Ian H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 03:51:18 PM »
Cathleen thanks

Ian