Author Topic: Jolley the swagman Maiseyl 20/2  (Read 437 times)

Ian H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Jolley the swagman Maiseyl 20/2
« on: December 21, 2013, 09:05:19 AM »
Jolley looked at the girl. “Prepare to be arrested.”

Jolley was amused to see the Sergeant emerge from a separate hut trying to pull his trousers on both over his paunch and his Pjs Whist carrying his belt and gun holster in one hand. “What the hell is going on.”

Jolley stepped from behind the container with both hands in the air. “There is another missing girl.”

The Sergeant kicked the cop lying on the ground in the ribs. “I suppose you told them go away and come back during business hours,”

Jolley stepped forward. “Forget that you must hurry. We must find the girl.”

The detective emerged half dressed and rubbing sleep from his eyes. “Who is the girl?”

“Maisey.”

The detective frowned. “Your girl.”

Jolley shrugged. “Not my girl.”

The sister looked at him. “Not your girl! She spends all the time talking about you. She even has a poster of you on the wall. Why do you think I came to you first. I was hoping to find her in your swag with you.”

The detective looked at the pair. “Leave it to me. You two go and get breakfast. And Jolley I want to see you in my office at 9 AM.”

The swagman turned to the girl. “Come on. I will make you a track breakfast. We'll just be in the way here.”

As they left phones rang right through the compound, lights flashed on to much swearing. Neither really tasted the food they were to

They walked out of the compound and past the adjacent flying Doctor tent. A sign on the door told that in emergency press the bell.

Jolley knew the state laws wouldn't allow a race meeting to go ahead without an ambulance present and following the races. This was a good thing as three jockeys through out the state had died that year alone and 12 had been reduced to vegetables due to head injuries. He had no idea of the number of broken bones and other injuries suffered but he imagined them to be high.

But the law makers had never envisioned the Carney Carney races where the ambulance was a Holden Ute with a mattress in the back. Injuries were raced to the flying doctor tent then if were minor taken by Ute to the local hospital but if major were put in the twin prop king air plane and flown post haste to Charleville and the flying doctor hospital. The races were suspended to the plane came back.

They walked on to Jolley's area he raked the ashes from last night show and added some twigs. Very soon his black billy was boiling away. He found a spare plate in Maisey's bar and some butter.

He took a handful of hard tack from his tucker bag and lavished better on them. He put some in the bowl and the rest in his pannikin. He then gave them a copious shakes of both pepper and salt and poured boiling water over them.
Jolley didn't even taste the food and he guess neither did the girl, they were to worried about Maisey.

EverJack

• View Profile
Re: Jolley the swagman Maiseyl 20/2
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 01:01:33 PM »
I'm waiting for little Rasti's autopsy to find out if any clues are found.

Ed

Ian H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 07:41:31 AM »
Ed
In nect chapter.

Ian

Cathrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 10:35:14 AM »
I think you didn't finish the thought in this sentence about half way down:
Neither really tasted the food they were to

Tension is building in this segment.  It has an ominous tone.
Cathleen