Author Topic: The li'll Lady Bullocky whips the new era part 9/I  (Read 4157 times)

Ian H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The li'll Lady Bullocky whips the new era part 9/I
« on: March 12, 2014, 09:04:39 PM »
Two weeks ago when the Li'll Lady had left Anakie  the place had been a collection of canvas tents.
Now as she approached work men were scurrying about like ants. John Richardson had what appeared to be maps littering a  crude  bench. He looked up with a  monumental frown lining his fore head. “I don't like this. I don't like it at all.”

The Li'll Lady stood silently waiting to hear what he didn't like, while she was waiting she looked around.

Logs had been laid length ways along the rail  and behind them had been filled with rocks and dirt till the were the height of carriage doors and were quite obviously a platform. Four tree trunks had been sunk into the ground and corrugated iron had been attached making a ticket box.

They had added a siding and the dust was rising from several well wagons as gravel was move from  them to flat bed horse carts.  The carts were dragging heavy logs behind them. Each end chained to a different side of the cart.

A team of men were shovelling the gravel between the cart and the log. Behind them was a cart with a furthy. The water tank was spraying water on the gravel, a horse drawn roller was flattening the gravel out forming the main street of Anakie.

The man looked up. “Sorry I was so far away in my thoughts I didn't hear you come up.”

He dived down pulled a map from his case and laid it out on the table. He ran his thumb down it. “Do you think you can find this creek?”

She followed his thumb. “As easy as pie.  It will take about 17 days to get there from here.”

He looked at her “In 21 days light a smoky fire so as I can find you.”

She looked at the map. “Just draw a pencil line on the map crossing the creek, give me the map and I will be there. And what is that symbol beside it?”

John smiled. “It is an ancient Greek A. The creek has no name so I'm calling it Alpha Creek and I plan to put the town of Alpha there. The next town down the track will be call Beta and so on.

It days later the Li'll lady was skinning a foot high paddy mellon she had caught with her whip. She had gutted it ans would wrap its tail around it and roast it in her camp oven When John road up.

“Welcome to Alpha. You were lucky to camp right here.”

She made a mock curtsy. “Not luck you gave me a good map. It was easy to find.”

John looked her up and down. “You know navigation?”

She shrugged. “Doesn't every body out here. How else would you find your was around?”

“But you don't have any equipment.”

She put the animal in the oven placed it on the ashes and tossed some red coals on top. “Who needs equipment a stick and the southern cross is all you need.”

John looked her up and down. “I have heard South Africans spout such nonsense. I never expected to hear it here.”

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:23:15 AM by Ian H »

Fat

• View Profile
Re: The li'll Lady Bullocky whips the new era part 9/I
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 09:56:12 PM »
Once you have south the rest is easy.

You have me with the edible Paddy Melon animal? - the only paddy melons I know are small melons around here - useless for anything.

Ian H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 07:49:52 AM »
Don
It was my phonetic spelling that confused you. Depending on where you live the spelling varies you know them as pademelon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pademelon

They are the clowns of the kangaroo species and adorable but very bad tempered and prefer boxing to eating. They are both delicious and the right size for stuffing and putting in a large camp oven.

Ian

EverJack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 09:40:07 AM »
They were paving the street with gravel?  Very up to date for that time.

I had never heard of a pademelon.  I had to use your link to look it up.

Ed

Fat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 09:55:39 AM »
I learn something new every time I come here.

Ian H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 10:20:57 AM »
Don one thing the Wiki-pedia didn't mention is they can digest 1080 without problems. The brindle box is a natural source of 1080. I might be wrong but I thinks this explains the density of them there even today. All you need to find south is Knowing the time of the year and a stick except for 23 Dec the sun is always north of us. It is a bit more complex than that but that is the general idea. Most stockmen know the direction instinctively.

Jack
Before the floods in 2000 I hade daguerreotypes showing the formation of Anakie fascinating.

Ian
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:29:22 AM by Ian H »

Cathrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 06:31:34 AM »
the following segment confused me with the "he's"  Is every other one supposed to be "she?"

The man looked up. “Sorry I was so far away in my thoughts I didn't hear you come up.”

He dived down pulled a map from his case and laid it out on the table. He ran his thumb down it. “Do you think you can find this creek?”

He followed his thumb. “As easy as pie.  It will take about 17 days to get there from here.”

He looked at her “In 21 days light a smoky fire so as I can find you.”

Thanks Ed for asking about the Paddy melons.  I too was puzzled.

Now, in Ian's response he said "digest 1080".  What is 1080?

Cathleen

Ian H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 08:52:40 AM »
Cathleen

Thanks I have fixed the he she.

1080 is a poison use to control introduced pests. Rabbits, pigs, dingos and rats

It poisons introduced animals but not native animals.

There is a whole lot more about it in 'Interesting Research'

Ian