Author Topic: The world's greatest genius 3  (Read 4043 times)

Ian H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The world's greatest genius 3
« on: April 04, 2013, 08:18:51 PM »
A couple of weeks flew by. The day was hot but then we average two cold days a year. I was crossing the great divide coming home from Alpha; the town I call wind blown in my fiction.

The road west of the mountain is at minus 5 ft above sea level.45 km later you are at just under 900 ft above sea level and about to cross a plateau before you fall to the eastern coast.

The road was that bad that even the goats had given up using it. I was rounding one of the numerous boulders that seem to grow up over night on the road.

I did a double take. The car was sitting in the middle of the road Both the front and rear wheels were on the road but also was the bottom of the car about where the fire wall was.

The sight was so unusual I walked around it taking photo's.

“She is a right mess isn't she. The Jesuits sabotaged it.” I span around and came face to face with the worlds greatest genius.

I had only been living there for a short time and at first was surprised to find the News car had two traffic hazards warning signs in the trunk. This was the third time that month I had used them.

“Roy you have two choices. I would push the car over the side it is kaput fino or you can call Rescue.”

“My name isn't Roy it is Reg and that car is repairable but rescue is run by the Jesuits.”

“Oh you have had a bad time with Rescue then.”

“The bastards took me to court and robbed me.”

I walked around the car. “Well in that case I will help you push it over the cliff then drive you home.”

“No run me down to Bogungtunga and I will get Rescue.”

We were half way back to Bogung when curiosity got the better of me. “Reg if Rescue sued you they might not help you now. What happened?”

Reg shrugged. “I had a XK falcon.”

I laughed and interrupted. “They should've been called the TC Falcon.”

“TC?”

“TC for tin can.”

“Well I had the XK for years and it was a great car then the transport inspector pulled me over and took the number plates. Since it was on a freeway I had to get Rescue to take it to a repairer. They charged me $250 and the repairer took one look and suggested I sell it to an Auto wrecker for $75.”.

Two hours later saw us standing beside Reg's car when the Rescue truck pulled along side. The driver got out and walked around the car.

Then He opened the hood. “My God. My bloody God.”

Fat

• View Profile
Re: The world's greatest genius 3
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 11:17:13 PM »
I remember reading about a Ford American Exec writing from Australia to Ford America HQ about why the XK suspensions failed. After describing the lack of anything resembling roads here he said "... and Australian drivers use their vehicles rather more robustly than the average American driver"

Cathrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 12:14:16 AM »
Wonderful cliff hanger, Ian.  I'm enjoying another "tour" of a part of Australia.

Don...you said
Australian drivers use their vehicles rather more robustly than the average American driver"
That has me curious.  What exactly do you mean by "more robustly"?
Cathleen

Linda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 04:16:10 AM »
LOL Cathleen!  I'm thinking he's telling you how lousy the roads are in Australia.  Meaning that they'll be used for more than gentle drives down well-paved lanes. ;)

Fat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 08:09:57 AM »
Cathleen - in the late 1950s to early 1960s there were 'roads' in Australia which could wear out a brand new car in 3 days. (and some were designated highways) Aussie drivers drove on these roads at the same speeds that the Americans drove on their 4 lane freeways, 'robustly' is a very nice way of saying 'like a demolition derby driver would treat his car'
The XK Falcon suspensions fell apart, broke or wore out in no time at all - it wasn't until Ford started fitting the suspension components from the much larger Fairlane that the problem was pronounced fixed. (Note I said 'pronounced fixed' - that doesn't mean quite the same as 'was fixed.')

Ian H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 08:20:46 AM »
Don
The best off road car ever the moke had bigger front wheel bearings than the fairlane. For the rest I had an unusual way of getting my moke out of bogs. I would walk around the back lift it off the ground and turn the car around and drive out of the bog the way I drove in.

Ian

Fat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 08:41:19 AM »
Mokes could go where 'serious' 4 wheel drives wouldn't dare.

EverJack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 09:29:03 AM »
Lol....  Reg is quite a piece of work.

You have me curious about this 'Moke', mates.  What was it and what company made it?

Ed

Ian H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 09:55:12 AM »
Ed
The Moke even though the Canadian Army used them were distinctly Australian made by Leyland Australia. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1f/Moke02.png/280px-Moke02.png
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:25:09 AM by Ian H »

EverJack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 06:03:51 AM »
Hmm.  It looks like a golf cart.  Is it really built for highway use?

Ed

Ian H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 08:55:16 AM »
Ed
I could get mine to 90 miles an hour some golf cart. But it was made for off road. They were great in the desert for prospecting. They also made a great beach car.

Ian

EverJack

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 10:36:33 AM »
I'll bet they would be great off road vehicles.

Ed

Cathrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 09:00:33 AM »
Okay, you boys have fun now with your car talk.  (Thanks, Don, for the explanation.)  Incidentally, do you folks in Australia know of the PBS's show "Car Talk,"  with two brothers, funny and knowledgeable?  Cathleen

Ian H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 09:52:50 AM »
Cathleen
I'm a great fan of the PBS Newshour but that is about all the PBS we get here.

Ian

Linda

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 03:10:06 PM »
Ed,

I was thinking it looked like a dune buggy.  And the off-road capabilities would fit with that.  Except for that Jeep looking front end.

Most of those dune buggies were made out of old VW bugs - my brother's was...and they would go up those sand dunes like crazy.

Linda