Author Topic: Children's Address and Sermon for Sunday 1st of March 2015  (Read 1365 times)

Fat

• View Profile
Children's Address and Sermon for Sunday 1st of March 2015
« on: January 20, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
I presented these to video for Project Reconnect last week. The DVDs are sent out to churches who may not have a minister. The readings are based on the Common Lectionary used by many churches worldwide and are accompanied by discussion questions and some hymns to choose from.

Lent 2B 1st March  2015   Project Reconnect

Readings:

Genesis 17:1-7, 15 & 16
Psalm 22:23-31
Romans 4:13-25
Mark 8:27 to 38 (Lectionary Mark 8:31-38)

Discussion Questions:

•   How do you feel about Jesus calling Peter ‘Satan’?
•   Do you feel too old, too young, too busy, too …... for God’s call?
•   What does ‘Take up your Cross’ mean for a 21st century disciple?
•   What scares you most about being a disciple of Jesus the Christ?

Using an Autocue is rather different to using a full script or notes and a but daunting too. It enables you to address the viewers without looking down but it also means gestures and arm waving are not picked up. It also is difficult to pause to let a point be considered or change speed depending on the mood - it is possible but would entail looking down at the unfamiliar keypad while you figure out which button to press - subsequently the sermon was only 5 minutes when I expected it would take 7. (Oh well - Congregations probably deserve an early mark when I am preaching)

I'd love to be able to add the picture I refer to in the Children's address but I am not sure how.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 04:34:58 PM by Fat »

Fat

• View Profile
Re: Children's Address for Sunday 1st of March 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 04:31:51 PM »
I sang the words in Italics.

CHILDRENS TALK: Sing a Hymn to the Devil
I’d like to tell you about Uncle Alf. He wasn’t my uncle but everyone in the Church called him Uncle Alf.

You see his picture here as a young man of 23 years old.

When I knew him he was much older than in the picture. He was much older than I am now. He had snow white wavy hair and a white beard.

I was in school in Kindy right through High School in the same class as his granddaughter.

I asked him once “How long have you been growing the beard”
He replied “Since I was about 16 but I stopped shaving it a couple of years ago.”

He was very musical and played the Organ, the Piano-Accordion and the double bass. I think he could possibly play anything.

He and his wife Grace (that’s her in the side-car in the picture—I called her Mrs Pereira) both sang in the Church Choir until they were quite elderly and they were a big part of running the church I attended as a boy in Grenfell.

He was a very clever man and was 80 years old when he decided to build an electronic organ. Not a little one but an instrument which any church would be proud to have—it had two keyboards. His eyesight was fading when he finished it and he found the fine soldering difficult, but finish it he did, and there was a concert in the Church Hall featuring the organ given to celebrate.

When he was not able to drive anymore he build a 4 wheel bicycle so he could still take Mrs Pereira down the street to do the shopping.

Uncle Alf  was one of those people in the town who everyone looked up to.

He believed in living, as best he could, an upright Christian life, never ashamed to be a follower but always looking to God for guidance and leadership.

He certainly showed that it was possible to do this and be loved and respected by all who knew him.

I certainly remember a children’s address he gave in church. He talked to the kids about overcoming temptation.

There he was with his flowing white hair and beard.

I remember Uncle Alf’s words “If the Devil comes nipping at your heels trying to get you to do the wrong thing, sing a hymn to him. He can’t stand that and will go running”

Sing a hymn to the Devil and he’ll go running. What great advice that is.

It is hard to be nasty to your brother or sister if you are singing “Jesus loves me, This I know”

It is hard to be selfish while you sing “What a friend we have in Jesus”

It is hard to be rude while you sing “All things Bright and beautiful”

Today’s gospel story talks about following Jesus. About putting your mind on Heavenly things. About not being ashamed of Jesus.

Well, I don’t know a better way than taking Uncle Alf’s advice, whenever it get’s a bit tough, sing a hymn.

Thank you for speaking to me, Jesus,
Thank you for meeting with me here,
Thank you, because you love all people,
Those both far and near.

Thank you that you’re so good and loving,
Thank you that I am filled with you,
Thank you, you make me feel so glad and,
Thankful as I do.

AMEN

Fat

• View Profile
Re: Children's Address for Sunday 1st of March 2015
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 04:34:10 PM »
SERMON:

Last Sunday was the first Sunday in Lent—we very likely heard Verse 15 of Mark 1 where Jesus proclaimed “The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!”

Between Mark Chapter 1 and today’s Mark chapter 9 Mark tells of Jesus going about, preaching and teaching and doing miracles alleviating human suffering. But here there seems to be turning point in his ministry. He finally says plainly—or at least Peter states  “You are the Messiah.” 

Now Peter knew the scriptures, the promises to Abraham and Sarah of a great abundance of descendants inheriting God’s creation, the psalms promising deliverance and Peter could see how hopeless the situation was that such things would ever happen—especially now the Romans were in control.

I have never been a subscriber to the theory that these people were backward or ignorant—even the everyday Gentiles and the Samaritans were well versed in scripture from an early age—remember the woman at the well talking of ‘our father Abraham’.

Peter the fisherman may have been impulsive but never stupid.

In fact this the reading shows a man of insight.

“You are the Messiah” the christos, the anointed one.

And the nation of Israel really needed a Messiah to deliver them—how could God’s promises ever be fulfilled any other way?

Verse 31 of Mark Chapter 9 and Jesus is talking with the disciples:

31 He then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days rise again. 32 He spoke plainly about this, and Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him.
33 But when Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, he rebuked Peter. “Get behind me, Satan!” he said. “You do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”

Jesus words really come as a harsh shock. Peter would have been stung deeply.

I’m reminded of the disciples at the table of the last supper—Jesus says ‘one of you will betray me’ and they all start saying ‘Surely not I’, ‘Surely not I’, ‘Surely not I’

I can understand Peter’s need to pull Jesus aside and say ‘Don’t speak like that—it isn’t so’
What would be the modern equivalent?

I’d have Peter returning with“You’re kidding right?”

Peter’s hopes for the vindication of God and the deliverance of his country were all suddenly dashed—the one who Peter expects to lead them out from under Roman dominance suddenly speaks of suffering and dying—not messiah, leader, king stuff at all?

And to top it all off calling Peter ‘Satana’—accuser in Hebrew.

The same entity who is the council for the prosecution of Job in the Old Testament. Not so much evil but revealing evil.

The Hebrew word is rendered into Greek in the new testament rather than use the Greek word Diabolos—The Devil—one who causes division.

And now Jesus draws the crowd into the conversation and begins to teach them.– in a way a little different to the pattern of teaching the crowds and then explaining to the disciples—here he uses the opportunity to teach them all together.

He explains what thinking/doing things God’s way will look like.

To me; Peter’s motives are selfless and altruistic—but, like so many of us—we don’t have the big picture.

We know by Jesus’ tears that God is not aloof to human suffering—that God does not will that any should perish, that God loves us so much that he would die for us, yet so many times we are unwilling to trust that God is right. That His plans for us are perfect.

And it’s easy to blame god when things are not how we’d like them to be—when we don’t have the answers.

When someone we love contracts a cruel disease.

When evil prevails over good.

When terrible things happen to innocent people.

And I have to say that there are things I want to ask God about when I ‘get there’

God knows that trusting and following him is no easy task in a harsh and often corrupt world—but Jesus is saying that the heavenly things are worth it.

The Apostle Paul looks at a bigger picture when he writes that Abraham’s faith was reckoned to him as righteousness.

Paul further says that applies to us also.
Verse 23 of Roman’s 4:
23Now the words, “it was reckoned to him,” were written not for his sake alone, 24but for ours also. It will be reckoned to us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead, 25who was handed over to death for our trespasses and was raised for our justification.

That’s the way of the cross.

Of course we know that Peter went on to say to the crowds on the day of Pentecost:
36 “Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah.”

And on the cross we see the fulfilment of the psalmists words:
‘Posterity will serve him; future generations will be told about the Lord, and proclaim his deliverance to a people yet unborn, saying that he has done it.’

“He has done it”

AMEN

EverJack

• View Profile
Re: Children's Address and Sermon for Sunday 1st of March 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 02:08:18 PM »
I liked both the story of 'Uncle Alf' and your sermon, Don.

Ed