Author Topic: This morning at Orana Gardens Aged care and retirement village, Dubbo  (Read 1109 times)

Fat

• View Profile
This morning at Orana Gardens Aged care and retirement village.
Psalm 118: 1-2, 14-24
I Corinthians 15:19-26
Gospel: Luke 24:1-12
and Acts 10:34-43 read during the sermon.
This is their only Easter service.

SERMON: Nothing will ever be the same
In the last few months Kerrie and I have got Netflix—it is way to watch TV on demand by combining Internet and Television—the wonderful thing is that besides being very reasonably priced—it also keeps track of where you are up to—you can watch part of an episode of something and then later on when you have another break you can take up exactly where you left off. (oops – sounds like a free plug for a commercial company but please bear with me)

We have been enjoying some of the series of British murder mysteries. Complex stories which unravel over several seasons—but we could watch the whole thing in one marathon sitting if we wanted. (not that there is time)

I have been amazed at the brilliance of the writers, actors camera teams and directors and the way they capture real life. The crime isn’t just a victim and a perpetrator—nor are their sins isolated—people are complex—there are ripples of hurt and distrust spreading out—whole communities are disrupted and lives turned upside down. It will never be the same again—and, possibly because of what builds to allow someone to do the dreadful—things were never what they seemed in the first place.

On our side of the screen, in real life, the same thing happens—a disaster, a missing child, a traffic accident, a murder, a bushfire or flood … and again the pain ripples out. I am sure you could bring to mind right now some of these things you have watched unfold. Some which have touched you deeply and profoundly and others where you catch the edge as you see the pain in others.

And as the news tries to get the picture, the footage into your TV, tries to grab a different angle—get inside the heads of those involved … and we get more and more of it as they feed off the tragedy. Then suddenly a new  happening and as they say ‘Todays headlines—tomorrows birdcage liner’ The media lions rush on to prey at their next feeding frenzy.

But you and I know the consequences, the anguish, the pain for the survivors don’t go away. Their world is not the same ever again.

In our Corinthians reading Paul talks of the way the sin of one man “Adam” has rippled through time such that all humankind stands condemned. That one act of rebellion had all mankind kicked out of paradise from then on.

Paul also states that if we’d hoped in Christ only in this life then we’d have nothing because …

... well because he died.

But … because of the resurrection of this one man “Jesus Christ” ALL will be made alive.

Because of the resurrection Jesus is now placed in authority over every ruler and power—even Death is destroyed.

Not just a hope but a certainty—remember what the men in dazzling white (I guess we would call them Angels) at the Tomb said “He is not here, but has risen” "Remember that he told you this would happen".

There is a certainty—these people saw it happen—And the world truly was never the same again.

Peter went and looked—He was there.

Now Peter who speaks in our Acts reading, through some divine intervention, is summoned from Joppa where he’d been staying, to the home of Cornelius, a devout believing centurion, in Caesarea. Looking at the map—it’s about a hundred miles or a bit more. Say from here to Orange.

Before he’d left, Peter had had 3 disturbing visions and each time a voice had said  “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”

And now here he is, some three days later, meeting with Gentiles in a Gentile house—and this of course was against Jewish Law. But Cornelius was persuasive. He said:
“Now we are all here in the presence of God to listen to everything the Lord has commanded you to tell us.”

Acts 10:34-43
34 Then Peter began to speak to them: “I truly understand that God shows no partiality, 35 but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him. 36 You know the message he sent to the people of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ—he is Lord of all. 37 That message spread throughout Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John announced: 38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power; how he went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him. 39 We are witnesses to all that he did both in Judea and in Jerusalem. They put him to death by hanging him on a tree; 40 but God raised him on the third day and allowed him to appear, 41 not to all the people but to us who were chosen by God as witnesses, and who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. 42 He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one ordained by God as judge of the living and the dead. 43 All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”

That message has rippled through time and to the ends of the earth—even to Australia and to us right here in Orana Gardens in Dubbo

“EVERYONE who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”

and nothing will ever be the same again.

AMEN

Then I sang "The Holy City" for them.

EverJack

• View Profile
Re: This morning at Orana Gardens Aged care and retirement village, Dubbo
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 09:36:31 AM »
I'm sure they all enjoyed your good Easter service, Don.   :)

Ed

Fat

• View Profile
Re: This morning at Orana Gardens Aged care and retirement village, Dubbo
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 09:22:25 PM »
Thanks Ed.