Author Topic: The li'll Lady Bullocky whips the new era part 4/1  (Read 2112 times)

Ian H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The li'll Lady Bullocky whips the new era part 4/1
« on: February 02, 2014, 07:22:27 PM »
The Li'll lady couldn't understand it. She had been told in England in summer the richer people fled to the beach in summer. In Moreton bay the rich English who monopolised the sea shore fled to the miserable high lands atop the spine.

The main street was filled with English ladies, umbrellas protecting the from the nothing rain strutting about like peacocks showing off their gaudy wealth.

The Li'll Lady would never have come to a place of such decadence except she was on a mission of great importance to her.

She tapped her toe as she watched the grey canvas sacks marked Royal Mail Service being loaded into the boot of the stage.

After what seemed ages the all aboard was called. The driver looked at he ticket. 'Why would any one want to go to nowheresville as Talwood is?”

She ignored him and mounted the stage.

Only one passenger joined the stage. His clothes told the Li'll lady he was a bushman, his eyes ran up and down her in appreciation. “And were would a pretty miss like you be going.”

“If its any business of your Talwood.”

The man's eyes lit up. “Who is the lucky man?”

“Watcha you mean?”

The man winked at her. “The curate there might believe in God but he doesn't believe in the Church of England. In fact some say he is a papist in disguise. As a marriage isn't legal unless it take place in a Church of England. He has a regular clientele for his Latin weddings.”

The Li'll lady smiled. “Is that so. I hear he has other talents.”

The man winked at her. “If you call burying murders on blessed ground other talents.”

The Li'll Lady look shocked. “Surely not.”

The man nodded. “It is said he will marry anyone for a crown or bury them on consecrated land for 2 crowns. But a woman of your beauty could only be a crown woman.”

Hiding tears she opened a copy of the Bulletin she had purchased at Toowoomba. 'Oh no.”

The man looked at her. “What is the matter?”

“They have caught Ned Kelly. Shot him in the legs they say.”

The man shook his head. “No jury of his peers will find him guilty.”

The Bullocky shook her head. “That isn't what they say here. The despicable English has loaded things against him.”

Jim

• View Profile
Re: The li'll Lady Bullocky whips the new era part 4/1
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 03:05:39 AM »
another history lesson so well written!

EverJack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 11:35:19 AM »
He must have been shot in one of the few places that wasn't armored.    :(

Ed

Ian H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 11:47:29 AM »
Ed
That was the idea

Jim
History is rich why not use it?

Ian

Cathrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 02:36:20 AM »
Okay,  I don't mean to beat a dead horse but is this a "stop" on the way to Talwood?  I have mentioned it before that in the last chapter it wasn't clear that the conversation was on board the coach and not back at the bar where they were waiting to start the journey.  I think it could be made a bit clearer where they are when and why.

You are building a wonderful tension and curiosity on the reader's part with insinuations like these.  Bravo!
except she was on a mission of great importance to her.

If I read the following correctly, something the man said had her teary-eyed, and not what was in the paper, yes?  If so, don't change a thing!
But a woman of your beauty could only be a crown woman.”

Hiding tears she opened a copy of the Bulletin she had purchased at Toowoomba. 'Oh no.”

Cathleen

Ian H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 08:50:56 AM »
Cathleen
The man mentioned marriage. It was foreshadowing for the grave scene.

Ian

Cathrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 01:27:56 AM »
Aha!  I figured so. cathleen